Friday, November 4, 2011

And the frogs are (about to get) greener.

So I picked up a used fish tank about two weeks ago.   I picked it up with big plans for my little frogs- to make a cricket house.  Intentions: a. save time by not having to drive to petco every 3-ish days b. save gas by not driving c. not use the plastic boxes crickets come in because I can buy a bunch now in one bag and d. feed crickets good food to make my pretty frogs healthy and happy.  




But I still have not put it together!  Why?  The tank was surprisingly huge!  And I love my Vincent and Louise (the frogs) and want them to have this huge new tank.  However, they are currently on an old piano bench and that bench cannot handle the weight of the new big frog house.  SO I have to find a very durable shelf to hold the frogs then switch them into the big tank then put the crickets into the old, little tank.  But here is my eventual plan.
Soon!!!  I can't wait to have a Cricket Haus. 


Tomorrow, after some really fun volunteering which I have to wake up for in 7 hours (goodbye Saturday) I am going shopping.  But I have regained some self-control after my last post and will be going to thrift stores- not beautiful, fashionable J. Crew.  Oh well.  At least my favorite fashion blogger has tons of good thrift store inspiration.  


Being "green" is hard because once I get in the habit of doing the goals I set, like not eating fast food, not buying new clothes, questioning where my food comes from and eating local meat, I start to forget why I do those things.  I get a mindset, why can't I have that McRib (it just came back and I've never had it...) or why don't I have a pair of beautiful cropped blue pants?  


I have to remind myself, the reason I am doing this is because I care about the planet and don't want to just mindlessly consume everything and anything that looks appealing (most of the time, after a little bit of thought, those things are actually completely UN-appealing).  I can't control what other people choose to buy or choose to do but I can choose what I do.  


So yea, I really want new J. Crew pants.  And I really love avocados and cashews, which I'm pretty positive are not local in the midwest.  And I have a huge weakness for fast food french fries.  But I have to remember that I am not going without- I don't need those things anymore.  In college, a snack was a 0.99 Burger King whopper.  Why?  It was cheap.  Today, I know that that is not only unhealthy but a whole burger for ninety-nine cents can't be good for anything but profit.  


Tomorrow I will go to thrift store and I will have fun finding my creative fashion self.  I'm excited.  And the cricket haus is coming- and it is coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment