Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Meatless October

For the month of October, I abstained from eating any meat all month for both National Vegetarian Month and to reduce my energy consumption.  Not eating meat for the month was surprisingly easy and was actually fun because I tried a whole bunch of new recipes.  Last night I made this squash tart and had planned on eating it for lunch today.  However, my extremely persuasive coworker convinced me (aka just briefly suggested) going out for lunch today.  So, I celebrated with the most delicious Chicago-style hot dog I've ever eaten.  I have no regrets, minus that it made me so full that I've been fighting to stay awake all afternoon in my office.  

However, I am going to keep my meat consumption down.  Not only is good for me and the planet, it is also fun to cook new foods (I've become obsessed with squash....with the exception of zucchini, see last week) and it saves me money since buying ethically-raised, local meat is costly and difficult to find.  I was going to say to myself, "you will eat meat on Saturday and Saturday only!".   But after making goals like that in the past, I know that that will set me up for failure because I'll start bartering with myself about which day, how much meat, blah blah and soon I'll be only eating meat like four times a day.  So, I'm just going to cut down.  Or in positive terms, start eating meat once or twice a week.  

Also, I'm finished with my cricket house but just waiting to take pictures and fill it with crickets.  Guess what?  Crickets apparently really like to eat squash too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment