Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chicken Salad is Causing Me Grief

The menu worked out great for the week.   I am making next weeks' and shopping tomorrow.  However, the chicken that I have become slightly obsessed with (we've eaten chicken in almost every meal that I brine prior to cooking) is from Foodland.  I do not know anything about Foodland or where their chicken comes from and am hesitant to look it up because I love it so much at the moment.


I went there today to pick up my second my bag and I looked  through all the produce to see if anything was local.  I had this secret wish that everything was local and it was like a hidden treasure for locavorires that only I had discovered.  However, as another complete sane and not trying to justify buying frozen chicken individual would not be surprised to find out, the only local thing was tomatoes (which in Missouri are local just about anywhere you go).  They also had Olathe sweet corn which, from being from NY, I thought might be a town nearby but it is actually a town in Colorado.


Why is buying local food becoming so difficult!?!  I mean, I could just go to Wholefoods or Local Harvest and buy what meets my local demands there but that is very expensive.  And I think it is expensive because people are capitalizing on the "being green" tag-line, but that is a different issue.


It is funny because I thought not buying any new clothes or household items would be difficult but I started that in June and its unbelievably easy.  Food is much, much harder.


Anyways, I'll leave with my dilemmas and use what we have left from our last Sunday shopping trip to make more delicious and unethical chicken salad while pondering how to become the consumer that I want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment